Monday, January 21, 2013

Uhhh.. Is that a pot roast?

"Uhhh, that looks like a pot roast!" --Kayla
I love seitan even though I don't really know how to say it yet, in fact, it was one of the first vegan "meals" that I came up with. It was super intense; I bought some seitan from Westsoy (I believe) and dumped it in a pan with BBQ sauce. Honestly, that was the first meal I came up with.

Now? No more store buying seitan.. and why would we when it is SO easy to make. The easiest that I've found, for a non-chef like me, is the one in Robin Roberston's Quick Fix Vegan. You start off with the same few simple directions, and then choose one of three ways to finish the seitan; my choice is always the slow cooker. I'm not sure why, but that's what I like to do.

As you can see above it worked out fairly well and looks like real meat in this picture (kinda disturbing) but super delicious. I think we ended up with about two pounds of it, so some is now in the freezer and this brain.. errrrrr... piece ended up in a roast with mashed potatoes, veggies and some crazy delicious gravy (also from Quick Fix Vegan) sans the onions.. those are the decisions that you can make when you're the chef.
This took a lot longer to make than that BBQ seitan I made years ago.. ANYTHING with this seitan, however, was and will be better.

Ya, I made that.

No comments:

Post a Comment