Friday, January 18, 2013

The Simplest Meal Ever

A lot of people wonder what I eat when I have to eat quickly or don't feel like cooking.. well, there are a lot of things that I consume that fits that criteria: oatmeal, cereal, tofurky brats, chocolate chips, peanut butter toast, bagel sandwiches, pasta and sauce, Chiptole, Qdoba, Jimmy John's, Trader Joe's new Meatless Meatballs or Chickenless Tenders, anything every from Gardein (amazing).. but my favorite is the simple salad.

Salads honestly take like 2 minutes to make (about the time it takes you to chop up some carrots and tomatoes).. That's it. My favorite quick salad?

The recipe goes a little something like this:

Bunch of spinach (preferably)
some tomatoes sliced up (usually grape and organic, of course)
carrots cut into little circles* (organic.. we buy these from Woodman's out of season, 5lbs is $3ish)
sunflower seeds (adds some crunch and a tad bit of salt)
raisins
Goddess dressing from Trader Joe's although I have stumbled upon a new favorite Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette.

*Note: I am not a real cook nor will I ever be one, I don't know the cooking terms only the layman's version.

The end is a masterpiece of color with surprising health benefits from a super food (spinach) to healthy fat (sunflower seeds), something to corrupt our body (dressing), and a bunch in between. If you don't have spinach/lettuce (real, not iceberg), tomatoes and carrots.. then get some. They can be used in so many different ways and add nutrition into every meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment