Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Chicago Marathon

Have you ever run a marathon with 11 miles as your long training run? And on the same pair of shoes that you've run other marathons? I stupidly did that at the Chicago Marathon this past October. Between my back/hip (which the WEA thinks is apparently a joke for insurance purposes) and my lack of training I was in for a real dogfight from the get go.

The weather was cold.. I wore a hat and gloves the ENTIRE race, which I rarely to never do. Actually, it was a beautiful day to run; I enjoyed that part of it. As far as the rest goes? It was a blur. Somebody asked me shortly afterward, "What'd you think about the course?" I just looked at them in disbelief.. "I dunno, I guess the pavement looked the same." You see, when you go into a run and you're not prepared you stare at the ground. A LOT. The people, the crowds, the buildings, the neighborhoods.. they all blended together. Chicago was EASILY the biggest marathon that I've ever run (and it's not even close) and I felt like there was only a few people on the course. I struggled that much.

The sad part was.. I don't even think I ran my worst time.. Actually, I know I didn't because the Lewis and Clark in St. Louis is another story. I don't remember the time off the top of my head; in fact, I didn't even order my finisher certificate. I guess I'll have to give that a shot here soon :)

Highlights: Native Foods. Will at the finish line. The crowd at the start. Paying $50 to park for 30 seconds so I could get my packet after waiting in a traffic jam.

Lowlights: Using the bathroom every 3 miles so I could take a rest. Staring at my feet the entire run.

Figured since we had to pay $2502 to park we'd snap a few photos pre-race

Will likes the bling. I bet he can't wait til he gets some of his own.

Okay, I guess I didn't wear my hat and gloves the ENTIRE time.. but this was right at the finish and I needed them off to look good for the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment